10 Reasons to Choose Portugal:
- Best EU residency programme for non-EU/EEA/Swiss investors (minimal stay requirements and the possibility of obtaining permanent residency or citizenship after 5 years
- Best EU tax haven for pensioners and high net worth individuals (10-year tax exemption of non-Portuguese source income)
- One of the top countries in the World to buy and own real estate (OECD, 2013)
- Best destination (best country in the World to visit according to Condé Nast Traveller, and best European golf and beach destination as per the World Travel Awards)
- Best country in Europe and North America (after cold Sweden) for immigrant integration (MIPEX III)
- Very stable, peaceful and safe country (3rd most peaceful worldwide according to the Global Peace Index)
- Top notch roads, telecoms and health system (12th best health system worldwide according to the World Health Organisation)
- A high quality of life coupled with a low cost of living (Portuguese average wages are about 50% of the EU average)
- A highly educated population, almost half of which can speak at least one foreign language, mainly English
- Gateway to 250 million Portuguese-speaking people
Portugal is Europe’s oldest country having the same borders. It was founded in 1143 and has had its current borders since 1249. Portugal is a country with beautiful and diverse scenery, a mild climate (3,000 hours of sunshine per year in Lisbon) and a rich cultural heritage that includes more than 5 centuries of close relationships with peoples all over the World, including Asia, Africa and the Americas.
Portugal has a highly educated population, half of whom can speak at least one foreign language (mainly English), and a centuries-old tradition of welcoming foreigners. It is a democracy, a free market economy, a member of the European Union and of the Schengen Space (26 European countries), and a potential gateway to a market of about 250m people in the Portuguese speaking countries and communities.
Lisbon, the capital city, is consistently awarded top international prizes as the best or one of the best places to visit in Europe.